How we achieved an high degree of data redundancy in compliance with the IEC 61850-3
January 18, 2021
MODBUS CONCENTRATOR – RAPID PROJECT, MALAYSIA
Smart Grid - Medium to Low Voltage substation
The customer would like to manage via Modbus TCP SCADA the substation infrastructure that is IEC 61850 client and the introduction of a high degree of redundancy in the event of a link, IED, switch or device failure. Each switchboard is made of 190 slaves that need to be accessed simultaneously for data, diagnostics and configuration. Data access via Standard Gateway is not possible since a complete data update is needed every 1s. There are 2 Modbus Concentrators per switchboard, that alongside communication will provide diagnostics to the EWS.
High degree of data redundancy, IEC 61850-3 compliant hardware.
- Support to System integrator in defining the Ideal Network Topology for the application.
- Custom designed redundant IEC 61850 Concentrators with Fiber Uplink, protocol gateway to the redundant Modbus backbone.
- Managed IEC 61850-3 certifieds witches with RSTP.
- On-site setup, configuration, test and troubleshooting.
- The Protocol Gateway will automatically poll each IED automatically via Ethernet (IEC 61850-3) and convert data to Modbus TCP.
- The obtained data will be remapped in a memory in a way to be easily accessible, for any specific enquiry from the master (Modbus TCP) and will be returned with high speed.
- High degree of redundancy, in order to have a device unaccessible multiple links should be broken simultaneously
- Architecture is designed in a way that link failures will be detected and the second concentrator can take over the job, issuing relay alarms and specific status registers change to immediately inform control room of malfunction
- Design is EMC level up to 5, IEC 61850-3 and IEEE 1613 certified
- A well-known French Tier-1 System Integrator
- Malaysia's state-owned oil and gas company, Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas).
- Field side: IEC 61850
- Control side: Modbus TCP
(Picture: Site, Malaysia)